No Boil Lasagna
Dec 07, 2020, Updated Jun 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This no boil lasagna is so easy to assemble and full of delicious flavor. Sausage, beef and of course cheese, come together to make this amazing and simple lasagna recipe. Great family meal that is also easy to freeze.
If you like hearty pasta casseroles like this baked mostaccioli, you should really enjoy this oven ready lasagna.
Why this recipe works
- No fuss! This recipe uses simple ingredients.
- Can be made the day before and also easy to freeze.
- Easy family meal that makes great leftovers.
How to make no boil lasagna
Since we are using no boil lasagna noodles and your favorite jarred sauce, this recipe comes together pretty quickly.
- Begin by cooking the sausage and ground beef in a large skillet until done. You can cook them together and the same time so no need for separate skillet. You can drain off any excess grease after the meat has finished cooking. Pour in the marinara sauce, stir, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make the cottage cheese mixture. In a large bowl, stir together cottage cheese, eggs and salt until combined.
- Build the layers. Start with spreading sauce mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Then top with a layer of no boil lasagna noodles.
- Next, add half of the cottage cheese mixture and then a layer of sliced mozzarella.
- Then add half of the marinara sauce mixture and start over with a layer of pasta, cottage cheese, mozzarella and then end with the rest of the marinara sauce. Finish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
How to layer lasagna
This recipe makes 2 layers in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- 1st layer: Layer of sauce, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella
- 2nd layer: Layer sauce, noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella, sauce and Parmesan cheese
- Spray bottom of casserole dish with non-stick spray and also the bottom the part of the foil that touches the lasagna with non-stick spray. This helps the cheese not to get stuck on the dish or foil.
- Let the lasagna rest for about 10-15 minutes after baking. This helps keep everything together with cutting.
Ricotta or cottage cheese?
My mom always made her lasagna with cottage cheese so that’s what I used for this recipe but feel free to use ricotta cheese if you prefer the flavor and texture. This is totally a preference choice.
Do you cover lasagna with foil when baking?
Since we are using no boil lasagna noodles, it is a good idea to cover with foil so that the noodles will soften. If you were using pre-boiled pasta, you would not need to cover with foil.
I do like to remove the foil the last 5-10 minutes of cooking so that the Parmesan can melt on top.
How to store, freeze and reheat
This recipe makes great leftovers! Sometimes I think the leftovers are even better then the first day. ***Tip: Make 2 lasagnas at one time. One to eat and one to freeze for another day.
Store: Make sure to cover any leftovers or place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Freeze: This lasagna freezes well. You can choose to freeze before or after it has cooked.
- Freeze from baked: Make sure that if you are freezing from cooked that you allow it to completely cool before wrapping. Wrap with plastic wrap 2-3 times and then with foil and freeze for 2-3 months. ***Tip: Bake in a disposable, aluminum casserole dish for easy freezing.
- Freeze from unbaked: Assemble lasagna according to directions. Make sure it’s completely cooled and then wrap with plastic wrap and with foil. Freeze for 2-3 months.
- Reheat from refrigerator: Place in the refrigerator at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Reheat from frozen: It’s best if you are able to thaw the frozen lasagna in the refrigerator the night before. When ready to bake, unwrap and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
What to serve
There are so many great side dishes to serve with lasagna. Here are a few favorites:
More pasta recipes
- Ground beef pasta casserole – Beefy pasta with cheese casserole.
- Green pasta – Sauce made with spinach, cheese and more. A simple, tasty dinner.
- Buffalo chicken pasta – Shredded buffalo chicken with cheese and pasta.
- Cream cheese pasta – Super easy sauce using cream cheese.
No Boil Lasagna
- 1 package oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 24 oz jars marinara sauce
- 1 24 oz cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb sliced mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add ground beef and sausage to large skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Pour in marinara sauce with the meat and stir until combined. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add cottage cheese to a large bowl. Mix in eggs and salt. Stir until combined.
- Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of dish.
- Cover with lasagna noodles. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles. Spread evenly.
- Layer mozzarella slices over cottage cheese.
- Spoon half of the sauce mixture over top of mozzarella.
- Layer pasta, the remaining cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella slices, and the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.