Easy cinnamon microwave apples are perfect for a quick, delicious dessert. This sweet treat can be made in about 5 minutes from start to finish. Tastes just like apple pie without the crust, yum!
Did you know you can easily soften apples in the microwave for a yummy dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth. This simple recipe only uses 4 ingredients and can be prepared in 5 minutes from start to finish.
These cinnamon apples taste similar to apple pie filling. Tender crisp apples cooked with cinnamon, sugar, and a little butter.
Why this recipe works
- Super fast and easy dessert. Great for a single serving dessert.
- Easy clean-up. A wonderful one bowl recipe.
- Microwave baked apples are a budget friendly recipe. Only 4 ingredients you probably already have at home.
Apples – I recommend using a firm apple like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples but Gala apples, Pink Lady, Fuji, and others also work well.
Cinnamon – Use ground cinnamon or substitute with apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice.
Brown sugar – Sugar is optional. I like using light brown but dark brown sugar will also work. You can leave it out completely or substitute with white sugar, Stevia, honey, maple syrup, or another sweetener of your choice.
Butter – Butter adds a nice richness to the apples. It also helps to form a “sauce” for the apples. Butter can be left out if needed.
How to make microwave apples
Step one: Clean, core, peel, and chop apples into bite-sized chunks. Place them in a microwave bowl.
Step two: Stir in cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar. Cover bowl with plastic wrap leaving a little opening for steam to escape.
Step three: Microwave apples for 2-4 minutes. The length of time will depend on how soft you like your apples and the size of your apples.
- Try using a vegetable peeler to remove the apple skin.
- If you would prefer less sugar, feel free to leave out the brown sugar.
- This can also be made using apple slices or even cooked as a whole apple.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your apples and the wattage of the microwave. 2 minutes should give you nice, tender crisp apples. If you like yours softer cook 3-4 minutes.
- This recipe is for one serving. If you would like to cook additional apples you might need to increase cook time.
How to store leftovers
Store any leftover microwave cinnamon apples in an airtight container or ziploc bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, microwave for about 30 seconds or until warm.
Cinnamon apples topping ideas
Want to add a little something extra to your cooked apples try topping with:
- A scoop of ice cream like vanilla or butter pecan.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream.
- Chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- Crumbled graham crackers or crumbled vanilla wafers.
- Use them to top a bowl of oatmeal.
- As a topping for pancakes, waffles, or crepes.
- Serve as a quick side dish for pork chops.
How do I know when apples are done?
Test the apples by poking them with a fork. The fork should be able to go into the apples easily.
More microwave recipes
- Microwave carrots – An easy way to cook carrots for a simple side dish.
- Microwave spaghetti squash – Cook spaghetti squash in the microwave in minutes.
- Microwave cauliflower – A quick and easy vegetable side dish.
- Microwave acorn squash – Sweet or savory acorn squash in the microwave.
- Ramen in the microwave – Learn how to cook ramen in the microwave.
Let me know if you tried these apples in the comments below.
Cinnamon Microwave Apples
- 1 large apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Clean, peel, and chop apples into bite-sized chunks. Place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Place cinnamon, butter, and sugar in the bowl with the apples. Give the apple a stir.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Make sure it's vented a little or poke holes in the plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 2-4 minutes depending on how soft you like your apples. Carefully remove from the microwave and give it a stir.
- Serve apples warm.
Leave a Reply