Keto Breakfast Casserole
Feb 19, 2020, Updated Mar 06, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Keto Breakfast Casserole is low-carb and gluten-free. Filled with ham, cheese and veggies, this easy breakfast casserole easy to customize and perfect for any time of day.
Having an easy Keto breakfast can help keep you on track when you are trying to eat fewer carbs. Sometimes I can get by with just a few hard boiled eggs but sometimes I want something that has a little more substance.
Green Bell Pepper – Green bell peppers have about 5 net carbs per one cup of diced pepper. Red and yellow peppers contain about 6 net carbs.
Mushrooms – You can use white or cremini mushrooms.
Diced Ham – You can buy pre-packaged diced ham or cut up deli sliced ham.
Eggs – The base of the casserole. Eggs are high in protein and fat making them the perfect keto casserole ingredient.
Cream – Heavy cream is a great ingredient to keep in your fridge when you are following a low-carb lifestyle. You can also use coconut cream if you want a non-dairy option. Cream really makes the breakfast dish nice and fluffy.
Shredded Cheese – I used mild cheddar for this casserole but feel free to use your favorite. I also enjoy using half Monterey Jack and half Pepper Jack cheese.
How to make
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredient list and step-by-step video.
- This recipe begins by melting butter in a skillet. Add in diced peppers and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add in diced ham.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick add ham mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over ham and vegetables in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and then place in the oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden.
Want a little extra protein…serve with a side of Air Fryer Bacon.
- This recipe uses butter but you can use your favorite “fat” like avocado oil or olive oil.
- I prefer shredding my own cheese. The pre-packaged cheese can sometimes contain preservative ingredients that you might want to avoid.
- This recipe is also great served with diced avocado, diced green onions, sour cream and even salsa on top.
- Once cooked, you can cut into squares and wrap individually for meals for the week.
How to freeze
When I am making this low carb breakfast casserole I will often double the recipe and freeze one of the casseroles.
Freeze Before Baking: If you would like to freeze this before baking, prepare according to instructions but don’t bake. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and then and then 2 layers of foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
Let thaw in refrigerator over night and then bake as directed.
Freeze After Baking: To freeze after baking, let the breakfast casserole cool completely and then wrap with plastic wrap and then foil and freeze. I also love cutting the casserole into portions and freeze individual portions by placing in freezer friendly container.
Thaw over night in the refrigerator. Place in oven to reheat.
I love this casserole because you can easily change up the ingredients for a little variety.
Veggies– Other vegetables to try, diced onion, chopped broccoli, chopped spinach, and diced zucchini.
Meat – Crumbled breakfast sausage and chopped bacon are great options. You could even add in with the ham for extra protein.
Cheese – So many different great cheese choices for this casserole. Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack and Swiss are all delicious!
Hot Sauce – If you would like to add a little spice, add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce into the egg mixture. It won’t make the meal too hot, it adds a nice flavor.
More Keto recipes
- Keto Snack Box – Great for a quick snack or to bring for lunch.
- Keto Egg Bowl – Another wonderful option for a easy Keto meal.
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs – You won’t believe how easy it is to make hard boiled eggs in the air fryer.
**If you made this recipe please feel free to leave a comment and star rating.
Keto Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in diced pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in diced ham and cook another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt and ground black pepper.
- Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread ham and vegetable mixture on bottom of casserole dish.
- Pour egg mixture over mixture. Sprinkle cheese over top of egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until eggs have set.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.