Tennessee Onions Recipe
Dec 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a side dish that will impress your family and friends? This Tennessee onions recipe is so easy to make and is packed with incredible flavor. Made with simple ingredients like sweet onions, butter, and cheese, this recipe is one you will want to make again and again.
Why we love these Tennessee onions
Growing up in Easy Tennessee, this dish was always a favorite at family meals. A few reasons I love this dish include:
- Taste – The sweet onion flavor combined with flavorful seasonings and gooey cheese is a match made in food heaven. It reminds me of an onion soup flavor.
- Easy to make– You can put this recipe together in a matter of minutes with not many ingredients.
- Flexible – Serve this as a side dish or on a variety of things like grilled chicken, pork, BBQ, and more.
Just a few ingredients are needed to make this recipe.
- Sweet onions – I like using sweet Vidalia onions when you can find them in the grocery store. Walla walla onions and Maui onions also work well.
- Butter – Choose a good quality, unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Cheese – A blend of cheese really takes this side dish to the next level. Cheddar cheese, Italian blend cheese, and grated parmesan come together to give you the best flavor.
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
How to make Tennessee onions
- Prepare – Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Onions – Carefully cut the ends off of the onions and remove the outer layer. Slice the onions into thin, 1/4-inch thick slices and then separate into individual onion rings.
- Layer – Spread the onion rings out in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the seasonings over the sliced onions and then place the pats of butter on top of the onions.
- Cheese – Evenly spread out the cheddar cheese, Italian blend cheese, and then parmesan cheese.
- Bake – Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
How to store leftovers
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last for 3-4 days. Reheat the onions in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or in the microwave.
Variations and substitutions
- Cheese – Can’t find the shredded Italian blend cheese? Try substituting with mozzarella cheese, shredded Gouda cheese or Monterey Jack cheese. You can also use either mild cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese depending on your preference.
- Seasonings – Try substituting the Italian seasoning with 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme. If you want to add a little heat, include 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
How to serve Tennessee onions
These cheesy onions can be served as a side dish or even as a topper. Try serving them on top of a cheeseburger, BBQ sandwich, hot dogs, or even a steak.
Be sure to let me know if you try this onion dish in the comments below.
More easy side dishes
Tennessee Onions Recipe
- 3-4 sweet onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced thin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese or shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the onion skins and slice the onions into thin slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Separate the sliced rounds into onion rings.
- Lay the onions into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper over the onions.
- Spread the pats of butter over the onions.
- Spread the shredded cheddar cheese over the onions. Next spread the Italian blend cheese and then the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve the dish warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.