Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies are a delicious sweet treat with a little side of heat.
These past few weeks I have had a strong craving for some chocolate. I try not to keep it around the house or else I would be eating it all of the time. It got so bad yesterday that I started searching for the kids secret candy stashes they might have in their rooms. Finally, I just accepted that something chocolaty needed to be made and my first thought was Mississippi mud bars but then Emeril sneaked into my head somehow and all I heard was “let’s kick this chocolate up a notch” and so Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies found their way on my menu.
The first time I had Mexican hot chocolate was on a trip to Cabo San Lucas with Jay. This was BK, before kids, so we were foot loose and fancy free, laying by the pool and eating amazing meals. On our last night of the trip we ate at a restaurant called Freda’s. I still think that it has to be one of the best meals we have ever eaten. With dessert, they served us Mexican Hot Chocolate. I fell in love with the hint of cinnamon and then the slight heat at the end all mixed with hot chocolate goodness.
The Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies mimic the hot chocolate perfectly, the addition of cinnamon and a little pinch of cayenne pepper makes a big difference from your standard chocolate cookie. I also added some marshmallows because why not!? I would recommend sticking the marshmallows in the freezer and then mix them in right before you make the cookies. This will help keep them from melting too much.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies are deliciously chocolate with just the right amount of heat!
More Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup marshmallows frozen
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar until blended and creamy.
- Add in one egg at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Add in flour mixture, a little at a time, to the butter mixture. Mix until all of the flour mixture is combined. Stir in chocolate chips and refrigerate dough for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- When ready to bake cookies, stir in frozen marshmallows to the dough.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, place dough on cookie sheets making them tablespoon size balls. Place about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack.