Copycat McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce
Jul 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a recipe to make your own version of McDonald’s hot mustard sauce at home? This recipe tastes very similar to the popular fast food restaurant’s mustard. Use it for your chicken nuggets, sandwiches, and more.
McDonald’s has a variety of delicious sauces to choose from including this hot mustard sauce. The restaurant did remove the sauce from their menu but it is now back in some markets.
Ingredients needed for hot mustard
- Mustard – Yellow mustard is the base for this sauce.
- Ground mustard powder– Adds another level of mustard.
- Mayonnaise – Adds a hint of creaminess to the hot mustard.
- Soy sauce – This ingredient gives a saltiness to the sauce.
- Vinegar – Use white vinegar to balance out all of the flavors.
- Dark corn syrup – Corn syrup gives this sauce the glossy finish and also helps it stick on your food like chicken McNuggets.
- Sugar –
- Cayenne pepper – Cayenne brings the heat to this sauce. Feel free to adjust the amount to your taste.
How to make copycat McDonald’s hot mustard sauce
Step one: Add the mustard, ground mustard, mayonnaise, soy sauce, vinegar, corn syrup, sugar, and cayenne pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Whisk together until combined.
Step two: Microwave for about 15 seconds and stir again. Let the sauce cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- If you want the sauce to have more of a similar color to the original sauce, add a pinch of turmeric. It doesn’t add much flavor, just color.
- Want your sauce a little sweeter? Increase the sugar to 1/2 teaspoon.
- I recommend letting the sauce sit for at least an hour, but the longer the better. This helps develop the flavors and lets them come together.
How to store leftover sauce
Store: Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to serve
This mustard sauce works well with many dishes.
Sauce – Spread it on things like hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, or on hot dogs.
More McDonald’s copycat recipes
- Copycat McDonald’s breakfast burrito
- Copycat McDonald’s steak egg and cheese bagel
- Copycat McDonald’s McMuffin
Copycat McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Recipe
- 5 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- Place all of the ingredients into a microwave safe bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Microwave for 15 seconds. Let completely cool and then cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.