Margarita Lime Bars Recipe
May 22, 2017, Updated Jun 09, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Margarita bars are a delicious take on ooey gooey butter cake bars. Deliciously creamy with a hint of refreshing lime.
These easy lime bars make a cool and tasty summer dessert. Sweet, creamy bars with a hint of lime, they will remind you of a margarita! They are the perfect addition to a Tex-Mex meal like tacos and Mexican rice.
Lime Bars are a perfect summer treat!
If you have a sweet tooth like me, you will love these bars! The perfect dessert for Summer. They are made with an easy crust using a cake mix and topped with a sweet, tart, creamy layer of goodness.
- Yellow cake mix – Use your favorite boxed yellow cake mix.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used.
- Egg – One egg for the crust and two eggs for the creamy layer.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is needed.
- Lime zest – Fresh lime zest adds amazing lime flavor and color.
- Cream Cheese – Softened cream cheese is used to make the creamy layer.
- Powdered sugar – Powdered sugar, sometimes called confectioners sugar.
- Vanilla extract – Adds a warm sweetness.
- Optional – Tequila. If you would like a hint of tequila, substitute 1/8th of the lime juice with tequila.
Regular Limes or Key Limes
I have used both for this recipe. Regular limes tend to be a little more tart and Key limes are sweeter. Both will work fine for this recipe.
How to make Margarita Bars
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredient list.
Step one: Crust – Start with mixing the yellow cake mix, egg, melted butter, and lime zest together to combine.
Step two: Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the prepared prepared pan with the crust mixture. Press to form a crust.
Step three: Filling – To make the filling, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, eggs, lime juice, and lime zest.
Step four: If you want to make these and adult dessert, substitute 1/8 cup of the lime juice with tequila. This is optional.
Step five: Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 40 minutes.
Tip – Don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t look done or the center slightly jiggles. Let the bars cool for 15-20 minutes and they will set. Add a dusting of a little powdered sugar and place in the refrigerator to cool.
Step six: Let them cool completely. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Margarita Bars Recipe tips
- Make sure you are using full fat cream cheese that is softened to room temperature. This makes it much easier to get a creamy texture.
- Be sure to cover the whole baking dish bottom with the cake mix crust.
- It’s important to let them chill before cutting.
- If you have a larger crowd, you can double the recipe and use a 9 x 13 baking dish. This will make the bars thinner.
How to store Margarita Lime Bars Recipe
Store: You can make this recipe ahead of time. These dessert bars can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Can you freeze Margarita Bars?
Yes, you can freeze these lime bars. Once the bars are completely cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag in the freezer. They will last up to 3 months.
Margarita lime bar recipe FAQ’s
Tequila is optional for this recipe. Make them tequila lime bars by substituting some of the lime juice with a little tequila.
If they are soggy, too much liquid might have been added to the recipe.
The center should be mostly set when they are done. There might be a slight jiggle but once they completely cool they will be done and set.
More Summer Desserts
- Robert Redford Dessert is a classic dessert made with chocolate pudding and cream layer.
- Yum Yum Pie is one of my favorite no-bake desserts. Use your favorite pie filling like blueberry and cherry.
- Egg Custard is another creamy, classic dessert.
Margarita Lime Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8×8 baking dish with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix cake mix, butter, egg and 1 teaspoon zest until combined.Press the mixture into the bottom of baking dish, forming a crust.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, lime juice, eggs and zest. Mix until creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over crust and bake for 40-45 minutes. The edges will be slightly brown and center might appear not set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.