Margarita Bars are a delicious take on ooey gooey butter cake bars. Deliciously creamy with a hint of refreshing lime.
Margarita bars make a cool and delicious summer dessert. Sweet, creamy bars with a hint of lime, they will remind you of a margarita!
I think I have said this many times before on the blog but I have a serious sweet tooth. I am talking, wake up in the morning, I need a doughnut, kinda sweet tooth. Yes, it’s not healthy or good for me and I am trying to cut back. Sometimes a girl just needs a sweet treat.
Gooey cakes are one of my favorite treats to make. There are so many wonderful ooey gooey cake recipes. Some of my favorite include:
- Paula Deen’s Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
During the summer these margarita bars really hit the spot. The tart citrus taste combined with the sweetness of the gooey cake are a match made in heaven.
These easy to make margarita bars start with a yellow cake mix. Stir the cake mix, egg, melted butter and lime zest together. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the mixture, forming a crust.
Make the filling by mixing cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, eggs, lime juice and lime zest. If you want to make these bars more “adult”, substitute some of the lime juice with tequila. Oh ya!
Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 40 minutes. Don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t look done or the center jiggles. Let the bars cool for 15-20 minutes and they will set. Add a dusting of powdered sugar and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8x8 baking dish with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix cake mix, butter, egg and 1 teaspoon zest until combined.Press the mixture into the bottom of baking dish, forming a crust.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, lime juice, eggs and zest. Mix until creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over crust and bake for 40-45 minutes. The edges will be slightly brown and center might appear not set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in the refrigerator.