Margarita Bars are a delicious take on ooey gooey butter cake bars. Deliciously creamy with a hint of refreshing lime.
These easy lime bars make a cool and delicious summer dessert. Sweet, creamy bars with a hint of lime, they will remind you of a margarita! They are the perfect addition to margarita chicken , charro beans and chicken empanadas.
I think I have said this many times before on the blog but I have a serious sweet tooth. I am talking, wake up in the morning, I need a doughnut, kinda sweet tooth. Yes, it’s not healthy or good for me and I am trying to cut back. Sometimes a girl just needs a sweet treat.
During the summer these margarita bars really hit the spot. The tart citrus taste combined with the sweetness of the gooey cake are a match made in heaven.
Ingredients Needed: Yellow Cake Mix, Butter, Egg, Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Vanilla.
HOW TO MAKE MARGARITA BARS
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredient list.
- These easy to make margarita bars start with a yellow cake mix. Stir the cake mix, egg, melted butter and lime zest together.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the mixture, forming a crust.
- Make the filling by mixing cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, eggs, lime juice and lime zest.
- If you want to make these bars more “adult”, substitute some of the lime juice with tequila. Oh ya!
- Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 40 minutes.
*Don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t look done or the center jiggles. Let the bars cool for 15-20 minutes and they will set. Add a dusting of powdered sugar and place in the refrigerator to cool.
Lime Bar Tips
- Make sure you are using full fat cream cheese that is softened to room temperature. This makes it much easier to get a creamy texture.
- Be sure to cover the whole baking dish bottom with the cake mix crust.
- If you have a larger crowd, you can double the recipe and use a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Regular Limes or Key Limes
I have used both for this recipe. Regular limes tend to be a little more tart and Key limes a little more sweet.
HOW TO STORE MARGARITA BARS?
You can make this recipe ahead of time. I think it tastes best once it’s nice and cold. These dessert bars can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can You Freeze?
Yes! Once the bars are completely cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then place in freezer. They will last about 3 months.
More Summer Desserts
- Robert Redford Dessert is a classic dessert made with chocolate pudding and cream layer.
- Yum Yum Pie is one of my favorite no-bake desserts. Use your favorite pie filling like blueberry or cherry.
- Key Lime Trifle is layered with graham cracker crumbs and an amazing key lime cream.
- Egg Custard is another creamy, classic dessert.
*** If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and rating below.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8x8 baking dish with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix cake mix, butter, egg and 1 teaspoon zest until combined.Press the mixture into the bottom of baking dish, forming a crust.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, lime juice, eggs and zest. Mix until creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over crust and bake for 40-45 minutes. The edges will be slightly brown and center might appear not set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in the refrigerator.