Have some extra homemade banana bread? Learn how to store banana bread to eat the next day or how to freeze it for later.
One of our favorite things to make with leftover overripe bananas is banana bread. It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even a dessert.
Most recipes make 2 or more loaves and while sometimes we can eat them both in one day, most of the time we need to store one for later.
In this post you will learn tips for storing banana bread, freezing, and thawing.
Table of contents
How to store banana bread on the counter
Fresh baked banana bread that will be eaten soon or the next day can be stored on the counter at room temperature.
- Cool: Make sure the loaf is completely cooled. You don’t want to seal warm bread because it will make it soggy.
- Wrap: You can either wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap or place the loaf or slices in an airtight container. If putting in a container, make sure to place a paper towel on the bottom of the container to help absorb any excess moisture.
- Store: The bread will last 3-4 days on the counter.
Make sure not to put in the refrigerator if it will be eaten in 3 days because the cold air could remove the moisture from the bread.
How long does banana bread last?
The shelf life of banana bread is 4 days at room temperature, stored on the counter and 4 months in the freezer.
How to freeze banana bread
If you don’t plan on eating the bread in 3-4 days, make sure to freeze it. Banana bread freezes really well so I always recommend making an extra loaf to have for later.
You can freeze whole loaves of bread, partial loaves, or even slices.
- Cool: Make sure that the bread is completely cooled. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap so that it’s completely covered.
- Wrap: You can either store the wrapped bread in a freezer safe container or freezer bag or wrap in aluminum foil. This will help prevent freezer burn. Make sure to remove any extra air in the freezer bag.
- Freeze: Freeze for up to 4 months. Tip, make sure to write the date on the container.
How to thaw
When you are ready to eat the frozen banana bread, you will need to thaw it first. Place on the counter to thaw.
A whole loaf will take about 3-4 hours to thaw on the counter. Slices will thaw faster, about 30-60 minutes.
How to thaw banana bread faster
If you are in a hurry to eat your bread, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Remove the banana bread from freezer bag or plastic wrap. Line baking sheet with foil and place bread on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Slices will take 15-20 minutes.
Does banana bread need to be refrigerated?
Banana bread does not need to be stored in the refrigerator. It will be fine on the counter for up to 4 days then after that it needs to be frozen.
- Be sure not to wrap up warm bread. It will trap the heat which will cause excess moisture making a soggy bread.
- You can freeze a whole loaf or individual slices.
- Try making banana bread in mini loaves. I like these pans. They are easy to freeze and thaw fast.
- This storing method also works well for banana bread muffins.
How to tell if banana bread is bad?
Texture – Banana bread is very moist. If you notice that the texture starts to get slimy it means it is starting to go bad.
Smell – Smell something off? If the bread starts to smell it’s probably a sign that it has gone bad.
Mold – If you see mold on the bread it’s time to throw it away. Moldy bread is a definitely a sign that it has spoiled.
How to store banana bread
- 1 loaf banana bread
Store on the counter
- Make sure the loaf is completely cooled. You don't want to seal warm bread because it will make it soggy. You can either wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap or place the loaf or slices in an airtight container. If putting in a container, make sure to place a paper towel on the bottom of the container to help absorb any excess moisture. The bread will last 3-4 days on the counter.
- Make sure that the bread is completely cooled. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap so that it's completely covered.You can either store the wrapped bread in a freezer safe container or bag or wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 4 months. Tip, make sure to write the date on the container.
Leave a Reply