Homemade Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe
Feb 19, 2016, Updated Apr 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade hamburger stroganoff recipe is sure to become your next go-to family meal. Made with ground beef and fresh mushrooms, this meal is hearty and full of flavor.
Ground beef stroganoff is the definition of classic comfort food. Just a few simple ingredients are used to make this easy dish.
Why you’ll love this Homemade Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe
- Kid friendly – This is a great meal for kids and the entire family. The ground beef is easier to eat than the traditional large chunks of meat.
- Taste – Full of beefy, delicious flavor.
- Easy – You can make this ground beef recipe with just a few simple ingredients. Plus it’s budget friendly and can feed a crowd.
Easy ground beef stroganoff ingredients
- Ground beef – Lean ground beef is used in this recipe. You can also substitute with ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Mushrooms – Sliced, fresh mushrooms are included to add another layer of beefy, earthy flavor. You can use cremini or white mushrooms.
- Onion and garlic – Used to add flavor to the sauce.
- Sour cream – This helps to make the creamy sauce.
- Beef broth – Adds rich flavor to the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce – Another layer of savory flavor.
- Mustard – Use brown mustard or Dijon mustard for some tang.
- Seasonings – Paprika, salt, pepper
- Pasta – You can use your favorite pasta like egg noodles or even rotini.
How to make ground beef stroganoff
Step one: Place ground beef in a large skillet. Start to cook over medium heat. Halfway through cooking add in diced onion and garlic. Cook until not pink. Drain off excess grease.
Step two: While beef is cooking, cook pasta according to package directions. Add mushrooms into the pan and stir. Season the mixture with salt and ground black pepper.
Step three: Pour in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and then stir in sour cream. Mix in paprika.
Step four: Serve beef mixture over noodles.
How to serve beef stroganoff with hamburger
You can serve this stroganoff in several different ways. The creamy sauce pairs well served over things like pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, and more.
How to store leftovers
Store: Let the leftovers cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Freeze the hamburger mixture separate from the pasta. Store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and then reheat in a saucepan.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt in this recipe.
The most flavorful ground beef to use will be one with some fat like 85/15. Feel free to use your favorite ground beef or even substitute with ground chicken or ground turkey.
This dish is a popular Russian meal.
More ground beef recipes
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 8 oz cooked rotini pasta
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender on medium heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, spray again and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes on medium and then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Drain excess liquid from the skillet. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add sour cream and beef broth to the ground beef. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add mushrooms, ground mustard and paprika.
- Add cooked pasta to ground beef and mix.
- Serve with fresh parsley.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.