Detox chicken soup is filled with chicken, white beans and vitamin packed veggies. A delicious and healthy way to start of the new year.
Detox chicken soup is a meal I turn to when I need a reset. Sometimes I can go a little overboard with my sugar and carb intake, especially around the holidays. When that happens, I will make a big pot of this soup and eat it for 3-4 days.
This chicken soup is full of vegetables, turmeric and fresh ginger. To give it a protein punch, I added shredded chicken and white beans. If you are not a bean fan like my mom, just add extra chicken.
The addition of turmeric will give this soup a yellowish color but don’t be scared, it is delicious! Studies have shown that turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Tips for making Detox Chicken Soup:
- I recommend using chicken stock for this soup. The stock has a meatier and rich flavor that goes nicely with the vegetables. If you only have broth on hand that is fine to use.
- You can make this a meatless meal by omitting chicken, add an extra can of beans and using vegetable broth.
- Precut vegetables and a rotisserie chicken make this “SOUPER” (see what I did there?) easy to put together.
Want more healthy options?:
- Watermelon Detox Water
- Turkey Quinoa Spinach Meatballs
- Rainbow Detox Water
- Chicken Taco Spaghetti Squash
Detox Chicken Soup
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped small
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 15.8 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded and chopped chicken I used rotissere
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Over medium high heat, warm olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add onions, celery, carrots to the pot and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, salt, pepper, chicken stock, beans. Bring to a boil and add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer another 5 minutes.