Chicken Taco Spaghetti Squash is filled with spicy ground chicken, tomatoes, chilies and topped with cheese. You won’t be missing the shell.
Chicken taco spaghetti squash is a delicious and low calorie meal. These squashes are seriously yummy and on my list of easy dinners. I love simple dinners like Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl and Jerk Chicken Meal Prep Bowls. I have a list of my go-to easy dinners on my phone just in case I can’t decide what to make during the week.
This chicken taco spaghetti squash is inspired by Skinnytaste. She has the best recipes! I used ground chicken instead of turkey and added some spicy tomatoes to the mix. I seriously could eat Mexican inspired flavors every day all day. For me the week would be Taco Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 🙂 The squash is a good change up from taco shells and cuts back on the carbs. And goodness knows I need fewer carbs in my life now that we are sneaking up on swim suit season.
You probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. I used a mixture of spices for the ground chicken but if you have a taco seasoning pack that would work just fine. To cook the spaghetti squash it is possible to microwave them if you are in a time rush but I would recommend sticking them in the oven. Cut them lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and spray the inside with cooking spray. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the inside of the squash to help bring out the squash flavor. Place inside down on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
For the inside, brown up some ground chicken and add in spices and tomatoes with green chilies. Scoop the mixture into spaghetti squash and top with cheese.
Additional Topping Ideas:
- Green onion
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
Chicken Taco Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Spaghetti Squash
- 1.5 lbs ground chicken
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut spaghetti squashes in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with spoon. Spray inside of squash with olive oil cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. While the squashes are baking, cook ground chicken in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Make sure to cook all the way through and then add spices and stir to cover chicken. Add in tomatoes with green chilies and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once squash has baked, use a fork to scrap up inside of squash. Top with chicken mixture and then add cheese. Return to oven to melt cheese, 3-4 minutes.
- Top with green onion. Optional: top with cilantro, sour cream, salsa, jalapenos.
I hope you enjoy this chicken taco spaghetti squash for your next dinner!