Canned salmon dip is a quick and easy appetizer that can be served as a creamy dip or even as a spread. This recipe can be made in minutes and is full of amazing flavor.
Why this canned salmon dip is so good
- Easy – This is a simple cream cheese dip that makes a great party appetizer. Only a few ingredients are needed and it’s easy to adjust to your taste.
- Fast – Similar to canned salmon salad, this recipe can be made in about 5 minutes.
- Canned salmon – You will need 2 5-ounce cans of salmon. Make sure to drain any liquid. You could also substitute leftover salmon.
- Cream cheese – Set the cream cheese out at room temperature to soften before you assemble the dip.
- Sour cream – This adds an extra layer of creaminess.
- Lemon juice – Fresh lemon juice adds a little tang to the dip and is a nice balance to the saltiness of the fish.
- Green onions – Color and crunch. You can substitute with diced red onion if you prefer.
- Dill – Fresh dill adds delicious flavor. If you don’t have fresh, you can use a pinch of dried dill.
- Salt and ground black pepper – Season to taste.
How to make this salmon dip recipe
Step one: Place softened cream cheese and sour cream in a large bowl. Using a mixer, mix to combine.
Step two: Stir in drained salmon, lemon juice, green onions, salt, and pepper.
Step three: Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Let the cream cheese soften before mixing. This will help it be easier to mix and make the dip nice and creamy. You can buy whipped cream cheese to make this super easy to make.
- If you would like to add a little heat, mix in a pinch of cayenne pepper or 1-2 drops of hot sauce.
- If you don’t like sour cream, feel free to substitute it with plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise.
How to serve salmon dip
Dip: This is such a great dip for all kinds of occasions like a baby shower, bridal shower, the holidays and more. Serve it with your favorite dippers like bagel chips, cucumber slices, carrot sticks, potato chips, or your favorite cracker.
Spread: This cream cheese dip is thick so it works well as a spread on toast, bagels, and more.
How to store leftovers
Store leftover salmon dip in an airtight container. It will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to give it a stir before serving.
This dip does not freeze well. The cream cheese doesn’t hold it’s texture very well once it’s thawed.
Let me know if you made this dip recipe in the comments below.
More seafood recipes
Canned Salmon Dip
- 2 5 ounce cans boneless salmon drained
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix together cream cheese and sour cream with an electric mixer.
- Stir in salmon, lemon juice, green onions, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Serve or cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Leave a Reply