Sausage Manicotti is the best manicotti recipe around! Pasta filled with 3 cheeses and topped with an easy Italian sausage sauce.
Sausage manicotti is a restaurant classic that you can easily make at home. It is a special treat to go out to dinner these days. With three young kids it can just be hard to sneak out. When we do go out I usually either pick Mexican or Italian food.
When we go for Italian, I always choose the cheesy, comfort food dishes. Manicotti is one of my favorites! This recipe is a great go-to recipe when you are in the mood for some home made restaurant food.
To make, cook manicotti shells according to directions on the box. Be sure to drain off the water once they finish cooking. While the pasta is cooking, cook and crumble Italian sausage in a dutch oven or large skillet. Once it is no longer pink, add in onion and garlic and cook another 4-5 minutes.
Mix your cheeses together in a large bowl until combined. Cut a slit down the middle of the shells and stuff with cheese mixture. Spread a little sauce in the bottom of a prepared baking dish and then lay manicotti slit side down in dish. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake until heated through and cheese has melted.
Looking for more pasta recipes?
- 1 8 oz package of manicotti shells
- 1 16 oz package Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1 26 oz jar favorite pasta sauce
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 7.5 oz chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.Cook manicotti shells according to directions on package. Drain.
- Remove Italian sausage from casings. In a large dutch oven, cook sausage, making sure to crumble it while stirring. Once no longer pink, add in onion and garlic and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain any excess grease.
- Pour pasta sauce into the pot with sausage and cook on medium heat until heated.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, 3 cups of mozzarella, Parmesan and ricotta. Stir until blended.
- Add about 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Cut a slit down the middle of each manicotti shell. Spoon cheese mixture into shells. Place seam side down on top of the sauce in the baking dish. Put the rest of the sauce on top of stuffed shells and then sprinkle with the rest of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.