Red Velvet Trifle
Dec 16, 2015, Updated Nov 14, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Red velvet trifle is made easy by using a boxed cake mix, cream cheese, and frozen whipped topping. A festive and delicious treat that is perfect for the holiday season.
This Red Velvet Trifle recipe is so good!
This semi-homemade recipe is a wonderful, easy dessert recipe. Using simple ingredients like a boxed red velvet cake mix, helps to make this recipe simple to but together. It’s delicious any time of year but really works well for a Christmas dessert or Valentine’s day dessert.
Red Velvet Trifle Recipe Ingredients
- Red velvet cake mix – You will need the cake mix plus ingredients on the box mix.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar
- Cool Whip – Frozen whipped topping.
- Cream cheese – Softened cream cheese.
- Whipped cream – Used for a topping.
- Optional – Sprinkles
How to make Trifle Cups
Step one: Prepare the cake according to the box directions. Once baked, let it completely cool.
Step two: Prepare the cream mixture by mixing together cream cheese, sugar, and Cool Whip until creamy.
Step three: Cut the cake into small cubes. Layer a trifle bowl with half of the cake cubes, half of the cream mixture, and then the remaining cake and cream.
Step four: Top with thawed Cool Whip. Serve or refrigerate.
How to store
Store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. After that it starts to get soggy.
- Be sure to let the cake completely cool before you begin layering the dessert.
- You can serve this dessert in a large bowl, a trifle bowl, or smaller bowls or glasses.
More easy cake recipes
Red Velvet Trifle Recipe
- 1 box red velvet cake mix- plus ingredients needed on the box mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 8 oz cream cheese
- Prepare red velvet cake according to box using the ingredients on the box (eggs, water, and oil). Once cooled, cut the cake into small cubes.
- In a mixer, mix together 1 container of Cool Whip, cream cheese, and sugar on medium speed. Mix about 5 minutes or until well blended.
- You can make these trifles in small cups or a large trifle bowl. Cover the bottom of the bowl with cake cubes. Add a layer of the cool whip mixture. Add another layer of cake cubes and then finish with the cool whip layer.
- Top with remaining container of Cool Whip. Optional, top with sprinkles.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.