Momma’s Meatloaf Meatballs
Aug 07, 2019, Updated Feb 20, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
All the deliciousness of meatloaf rolled up into little meatballs makes Momma’s Meatloaf Meatballs a sure hit! This meatloaf recipe is full of veggies and spices. One of our kids favorite meals!
There is something about meatloaf that gives you a sense of comfort and home. It is just one of those classic meals that everyone can relate to I think. Of course, growing up my sister and I loved my mom’s meatloaf. She would slather it in “Secret Sauce” and we would always lick our plates clean. Over the years I have made just a few changes to mom’s meatloaf. First off, I made it into meatballs.
Personally, I prefer more of the cooked outside edges so making them into meatballs gave me more of the “edge”.
I also added some teeny tiny diced up red pepper for a little more nutrients and moisture. Did you know that red peppers have a ton of vitamin C in them?! It is a little hard to tell in the picture below, but the pepper and onion are minced up super tiny.
Ground Beef – I use lean, organic ground beef.
Red Bell Pepper – This is a great vegetable to sneak in for the kids and adds moisture.
Egg – Helps to hold the meatballs together.
Panko Break Crumbs – Could also use regular bread crumbs.
Worcestershire Sauce – Adds a little salt.
Ketchup – This is used as the base for the sauce.
Brown Sugar – Adds a touch of sweetness to the sauce.
Ground Mustard – Helps to balance the sweetness.
HOW TO MAKE MEATLOAF MEATBALLS
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together and roll into meatballs. I like to place mine on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- If cooking in the air fryer, cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes and then turn the meatballs over and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- The Secret Sauce is made up of a little brown sugar, ground mustard and ketchup. Once you mix it up you can microwave or heat up in a small saucepan enough to dissolve the sugar.
- Spoon the sauce over the cooked meatballs or use it for dipping sauce.
Why are my meatloaf meatballs tough?
They need more moisture! If they are coming out too tough, next time add a splash of milk to the mixture.
Why do you put egg in meatballs?
Eggs help to bind the meatball ingredients together.
Can I freeze these meatballs?
Yes, once they are cooked let them cool off to room temperature. Place on a cookie sheet and then place in the freezer until they are frozen. Put the frozen meatballs in a freezer safe bag. They will keep up to 4 months.
Should I bake or fry my meatballs?
Either! I like to bake my meatballs but I also enjoy cooking them in the air fryer.
What to serve with meatloaf meatballs
These would be great served with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or even on some lettuce. It is a great kid friendly option for dinner. I need all of those I can get!
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Crockpot Beef Stew – A delicious and satisfying recipe. Great for a cold night!
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts – Simple recipe that can be used in so many dishes.
- Basic Meatballs – Standard meatballs your family will love.
***If you have made this recipe feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Momma's Meatloaf Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbls minced onion
- 2 tbls minced red bell pepper
- 1 tbls dried parsley
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbls ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray foil with vegetable oil spray.
- In a bowl, mix together first 8 ingredients and add the salt and pepper.
- Roll into 1-2 inch balls and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Secret Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, brown sugar, and ground mustard.
- Microwave mixture for 1 minute or heat in small saucepan for 2-3 minutes, enough for sugar to dissolve.
- To serve, spoon ketchup mixture on top of meatballs.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This post was updated 2/20/2020