Filled with fruit and even some sneaky vegetables, these freezer Smoothie Packs make a quick and healthy breakfast to start your day.
This post has been updated April 23, 2019
We are settling into more of a routine now that a few months of school are in the books. The kids seem to be really happy with their teachers and new friends but one thing we are still working on is getting up early enough to have breakfast before the bus arrives. The bus comes pretty early and it can be hard to get them to eat a healthy breakfast before they leave.
This summer they enjoyed making smoothies and having them for lunch so I thought we could give them a try for a quick breakfast. I made up several frozen smoothie packs to have on hand so in the morning I can grab one and blend. Can’t get easier than that. The kids really enjoy the smoothies and I love knowing they are filled with vitamins.
To add a little protein, I froze strawberry Greek yogurt in ice cube trays. Once frozen, they are easy to add in the freezer packs.
The kids decided on strawberries, blueberries and bananas and then we added a little green spinach to the freezer packs. I promise, they won’t be able to taste the spinach at all. Triple pinky swear. 🙂
How to make freezer smoothie packs
- If you are making the freezer packs, add the spinach, sliced bananas, frozen strawberries, blueberries and frozen Greek yogurt to freezer bags.
- Make sure to squeeze out any extra air in the bags. Store in the freezer until ready to use.
- These smoothies can also be made fresh, adding spinach, frozen berries, bananas and yogurt to a blender. Once you have added either freezer pack or fresh ingredients, pour in apple juice and water.
- Blend until smooth.
Is it healthy to have a fruit smoothie for breakfast?
As long as you are adding foods rich in nutrients and not sugar, smoothies can be a healthy breakfast option.
What can you put in smoothies?
Here are some other great options to add to your freezer packs:
- nut butter (add this when you make the smoothie)
- raspberries and or blackberries
- chia seeds
- flax seed
More Meal Prep Ideas
** Make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment below.
Freezer Smoothie Packs
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 banana - peeled and cut in small pieces
- 2 cubes of frozen Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- For freezer smoothie packs:
- Add frozen berries in a freezer bag, then add banana, frozen yogurt cubes and spinach. Seal the bag making sure all of the air is out of the freezer bag. Store in freezer for up to 3 months.
- For smoothie:
- In a blender add spinach, banana, frozen yogurt cubes, berries, water and juice.
- Blend until smooth.