Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich made with lightly fried chicken served on a pretzel roll.
One vacation I would love to cross off of my bucket list is Oktoberfest in Germany. My sister and brother-in-law were able to go several years ago and had so much fun! For now, I will be sitting at my dining room table with a full beer stein, German potato salad and my schnitzel sandwich dreaming of being in German beer garden.
What Is Schnitzel?
Schnitzel is a boneless meat that is pounded out thin and lightly fried. The meat is also typically coated with flour, eggs, and bread crumbs. So basically fried chicken and who doesn’t love fried chicken?
How To Make Chicken Schnitzel
- Start by add flour, salt and pepper to a shallow dish.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in another dish.
- In another dish stir together bread crumbs, seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture then egg mixture and then breadcrumbs. Place them on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate for an hour.
- In a large skillet, heat extra-virgin olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Fry each piece of chicken for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
Serve the chicken on a pretzel bun with Dijon or brown mustard, lettuce and onion.
What To Serve With Chicken Schnitzel
I love serving this with German potato salad, roasted potatoes or buttered noodles.
- If you can’t find chicken cutlets, take chicken breasts and pound thin with a meat mallet.
- This could also be made using pork or veal cutlet.
- Serve some German Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert!
***Make this recipe? Be sure to give it a star rating below.
Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 6 chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 6 pretzel rolls
- Optional: sliced red onions lettuce leaves, brown mustard,
- Put flour, salt, and pepper in shallow dish.
- Whisk eggs and milk in another dish.
- Mix breadcrumbs and seeds in another dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess.
- Dip in egg mixture and then breadcrumbs. Press to coat on each side.
- Place chicken on baking sheet and refrigerate, uncovered for 1 hour.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and place on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt.
- Place the chicken on pretzel roll and top with mustard, red onion, and lettuce.
Leave a Reply