Baked BBQ chicken thighs can be made in less than an hour any time of year. No need for a grill, this juicy chicken is full of flavor.
You don’t need a grill to enjoy delicious BBQ. An oven or air fryer can cook up amazing BBQ recipes like baby back ribs in the oven or air fryer bbq chicken. This oven baked bbq chicken recipe is no exception.
Why you will love this baked BBQ chicken recipe
- Chicken thighs are dark meat which makes them tender, juicy and packed with flavor. They also don’t dry out as easily as chicken breasts.
- Minimal ingredients are needed for this easy oven baked chicken recipe.
Chicken thighs – We are using boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can substitute with bone-in, skin on.
Seasoning rub – Brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and ground black pepper. This dry rub will be used to season the chicken.
BBQ sauce – Use your favorite BBQ sauce or homemade BBQ sauce. We are using Sweet Baby Ray’s.
How long to bake BBQ chicken thighs?
These boneless skinless thighs will take about 50 minutes to bake at 350 degrees F. If using bone-in thighs, you might need to increase the cook time 5-10 minutes.
How to make BBQ chicken thighs in the oven
Step one: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and an oven safe baking rack. Lightly spray the rack to help prevent sticking. ***Note: If you don’t have a rack, the chicken can be put directly on foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
Step two: Pat chicken thighs off with a paper towel. Make the seasoning rub by combining brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Step three: Place chicken thighs in a large bowl. Pour olive oil and seasoning mixture over the chicken thighs. Toss to completely coat the chicken.
Step four: Place chicken thighs on the prepared rack and bake for 30 minutes. Brush BBQ sauce over chicken thighs. Bake another 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Make sure to cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165 degrees F. Stick a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh to ensure you have the right temperature.
- Cook time may vary if you use skin on, bone-in chicken thighs.
- If you would like to brown the thighs, similar to grilling, put them under the broil the last 2-5 minutes of cooking.
What to serve with this dish
This BBQ chicken pairs well with so many different side dishes, so many in fact we made a list of best BBQ sides. A few favorites are slaw, fries, and potato salad.
How to store
Store: You can store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Make sure to let it cool and then store the thighs whole or you can shred the chicken. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat: To reheat, place in a baking dish and heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until heated through.
If you made this chicken thigh recipe please let me know in the comments and be sure to give it a star rating.
More chicken recipes
- 29 Chicken Tenderloin Recipes
- Bisquick Chicken Tenders
- 40 Ground Chicken Recipes
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich
BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and an oven safe rack. Lightly spray the rack.
- Pat chicken thighs off with a paper towel. Combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place chicken thighs in a large bowl. Pour olive oil and seasonings over the chicken thighs. Toss to completely coat the chicken.
- Put chicken thighs on the rack and bake for 30 minutes. Brush BBQ sauce over chicken thighs. Bake another 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.