Amaretto bread pudding is a classic dessert. Warm bread pudding topped with an amazing amaretto sauce. Special enough for celebrations and easy enough for every day.
This bread pudding recipe has been with my family for as long as I can remember. The Amaretto sauce gives it a nice little kick and a little fancy but almond extract can be used instead. More of my favorite family recipes are Coffee Cake and Poppy Seed Cake.
EASY BREAD PUDDING
What is bread pudding?? This can be a sweet or savory dish made with torn bread and typically cream and eggs. The bread soaks up the liquid mixture and is then baked.
Italian Bread – If possible, use stale bread. This helps the bread hold it’s shape.
Half and Half
Amaretto or Almond Extract – If you prefer not to use Amaretto, Almond Extract is a delicious substitute.
HOW TO MAKE AMARETTO BREAD PUDDING
- Cut or tear your bread into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Pour the half-and-half over the bread and let it soak up for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, beat together egg, sugar and almond extract.
- Pour sugar mixture into the bread mixture and then gently stir in almonds.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter (or non-stick cooking spray).
- Place bread pudding mixture into dish.
- Bake for approximately one hour or until top is golden brown.
BREAD PUDDING SAUCE
Bread pudding is typically served with a sauce. This one is super easy and really makes the dish!
- In a saucepan, stir together butter and sugar over low heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove heat and quickly stir in egg and Amaretto (or almond extract).
- Pour over bread pudding.
CAN YOU MAKE BREAD PUDDING AHEAD OF TIME?
You can make the night before and bake the next day. You could also bake and the reheat the next day. I like to make the sauce right before I serve.
HOW LONG IS BREAD PUDDING GOOD FOR?
It will last about 2 days in the refrigerator.
CAN YOU FREEZE AMARETTO BREAD PUDDING?
Yes, you can freeze this dessert. Wrap in cling wrap and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator and then bake when thawed.
More Delicious Desserts
***If you made this recipe, be sure to give it a star rating below.
Amaretto Bread Pudding
- 1 loaf day old Italian Bread
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg-beaten
- 4 tablespoons Amaretto or substitute 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Cut or tear bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Place into a large bowl and cover with half-and-half.
- Let mixture stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and almond extract.
- When the bread is ready, stir in egg/sugar mixture into the bread mixture.
- Gently fold in the almonds.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Stir the butter and sugar together over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, briskly whisk in the egg and Amaretto.
- Pour sauce over bread pudding and serve.