Zucchini Parmesan is a great way to use leftover zucchinis and makes a perfect meatless Monday meal.
I know I have mentioned that our garden just did not turn out this year. Still not quite sure what we did wrong but there is always next year right? We did have one little eggplant that looked like it was going to be ok. I had grand plans to make a delicious eggplant parmesan out of that little guy but while we let it grow just a bit larger, it turned to mush. UGGGGHHH!
So this is how we ended up with delicious ZUCCHINI parmesan. Our neighbors gave us some of their garden zucchinis that ended up being the perfect substitute. Zucchinis are such a versatile veggie, you can use them in so many things like zucchini bread.
Zucchini Parmesan is crispy, cheesy and satisfying enough to make a meal. This recipe would also be amazing served with a side of pasta or even spaghetti squash if you want to boost up the veggies. For the kids I added a few mini pepperonis on top and called it a zucchini pizza.
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut zucchinis in 1/4 inch circles. Place on paper towels and sprinkle the tops of zucchini with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes and the turn circles over, salt and let sit for 10 minutes. This help draw out moisture from the zucchinis.
- Rinse off zucchini circles and dry with paper towel.
- Line baking sheet with foil and cover with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Mix together Panko, Italian seasoning, Parmesan and garlic powder in shallow bowl.
- Mix together eggs and water in a separate bowl.
- Dip zucchini slices in egg and then in Panko mixture. Make sure to press Panko mixture on the zucchini to coat well.
- Place zucchini on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and then flip the zucchini slices.
- Bake 10 additional minutes and then top slices with 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped basil.