Halloween Mason Jar Cakes with chocolate spider web toppers make a cute treat for your next Halloween party.
I went to the store today and there it was…Halloween candy and decorations. I still can’t believe it is really that time of year already. My son is obsessed with Halloween decorations and costumes. If he could wear a costume to school everyday he would be the happiest kid on the planet. Still not sure what he wants to be this year but at least we have a few weeks to figure it out. Seeing everything in the store was my inspiration for these cute little mason jar cakes. Mason jars are AWESOME! You can use them for so many different things, so why not cake, am I right?! The green and purple frosting is my homage to Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. I so want to dress up like her but don’t think I can pull it off quite as well as Angelina Jolie. But let’s move on…
Here is my sad attempt at drawing spider webs. You can print some out or free hand it like me, you just need a basic guide when you are piping the chocolate.
Make sure to place wax paper over the drawing and pipe the chocolate directly onto the wax paper. Let it harden for 10 minutes and they will be perfect to add to your cakes. I ended up sprinkling a little edible glitter onto my webs before they dried to give them some sparkle.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
More Holiday Desserts
Mason Jar Cakes
- 1 box Devils Food Chocolate Cake mix
- vegetable oil eggs, water, as directed on box instructions
- For the Frosting
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring purple and green
- 1 bag dark chocolate candy melts
- 8 oz mason jars
- Ziploc or piping bags
- Sprinkles optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place paper baking cup in each of the regular size muffin cups.
- Mix cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil, and eggs.
- Place in muffin cups and bake per directions on box, approximately 18 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, crèam butter in a mixer and add marshmallow crème.
- Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until blended about 4 minutes.
- Divide frosting into 2 bowls. Add 3 drops of purple food coloring to one bowl and mix. Add 3 drops of green to the other bowl and mix.
- Remove paper baking cups from cupcakes. Cut each cupcake in half horizontally.
- In each jar, place 1 cake half in the bottom. Add purple frosting to a Ziploc bag or piping bag. Cut off the corner and squeeze frosting over cupcake. Sprinkle with candies or sprinkles.
- Repeat layers and end with frosting and sprinkles.
- For the webs. Draw or print out spider web on paper. Place a sheet of wax paper over the drawings.
- Place candy melts in Ziploc bag or piping bag. Microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate had melted. Cut off small tip of bag.
- Trace the spider web with the chocolate on wax paper and let sit until hardened.