Layered Coconut Spice Cake
Nov 09, 2016, Updated Nov 11, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Layered coconut spice cake with cream cheese frosting is a cake sure to impress your guests. Filled with warm spices, coconut and chopped pecans, this cake has texture and amazing flavors.
I always try to leave extra room in our trunk when we go visit my mom in Virginia. She has a habit of giving us things for the kids, because that is just what GiGi’s do. She can’t resist getting them clothes, books and little toys. Occasionally she will even sneak me a cool kitchen gadget or cookbook. On our most recent visit, she gave me this fun cake layer pan to do some holiday baking.
Flipping through our old family recipes, I found this coconut spice cake my mom used to make for Thanksgiving. I thought it would work great with this pan because more layers = more cream cheese frosting!
To make this cake you need a stand or hand held mixer. Start by mixing sugars and oil together and then add in eggs. Combine dry ingredients and then add them into the sugar mix alternating with buttermilk. Stir in flaked coconut and pecans then pour your batter into well greased cake pans. I sprayed mine with non-stick cooking spray but you may also use shortening.
**I used this Wilton pan to make the layer cake but it also works with 2 9-inch round pans and if you don’t like that it also works in a bundt cake pan.
While the cake is baking, mix together ingredients for cream cheese frosting. I found with this layer pan I needed to double the frosting recipe. If you are using round cake pans, this recipe makes enough to cover the cake. I also highly recommend toasting the coconut to sprinkle on the cake. Because toasted coconut is awesome!! Just place the coconut in a pan over medium heat and it will toast up in 3-5 minutes.
The smell that fills the house after you make this cake is unbelievable. Your mouth will be watering!
Tools Used to Make Layered Coconut Spice Cake:
Coconut Spice Cake
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 16 oz box powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine vegetable oil, brown sugar and sugar in a mixer bowl. Add eggs and mix until combined.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the mixer bowl until all combined.
- Stir in vanilla, flaked coconut and chopped pecans.
- Grease pans with non-stick cooking spray (or shortening). You can make in the 4 layer pan or 2 9-inch round pans. Pour batter evenly into each pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool cake in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the frosting, combine cream cheese and butter, beating until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Stir in pecans.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut and chopped pecans.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
* Post may contain affiliate links… meaning if you click on the link and make a purchase, I’ll get a very small percentage in commission. There’s never any extra cost to you, and I only link to products I love. Your support of FLF is appreciated! *