French Bread Pizza
Jan 12, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This tasty French bread pizza is a family favorite. It’s also a simple and delicious way to bring the kids in the kitchen for a fun night filled with quality family time. So grab your aprons, it’s pizza night!
We are so happy to be partnering with Red Gold Tomatoes on this post. All opinions are 100% my own.
Family Pizza Night
Pizza is one of those meals that everyone can enjoy, even the picky eaters. This recipe is so easy, and fast to prepare, it’s sure become a go-to family meal. We like this with a side salad for a complete meal.
Making French Bread Pizza is great to get kids in the kitchen and involved with the cooking process. I like to put each topping in a bowl so that they can choose what to put on their personal pizza. They love making their own creation plus it’s a wonderful way to spend quality time together.
This recipe starts with a simple base but can be easily customized with a variety of toppings.
French bread – This can be found easily at the store in the bakery section or feel free to make your own.
Pizza sauce – Besides the bread, the tomato sauce is one of the most important ingredients for this pizza. We will be making a quick and easy pizza sauce with just a few simple ingredients including tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and sugar.
For this recipe I am using a can of tomato sauce and tomato paste from one of my favorite brands, Red Gold Tomatoes. The fresh taste and quality really shine through in these tomatoes. Red Gold Tomatoes are picked when they are vine-ripe-red and then quickly packed so there are no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives in the cans which makes me feel good about serving it to my family. The tomatoes are also steam packed fresh to preserve the true tomato flavor with none of that “can” taste.
I also love and appreciate that Red Gold Tomatoes is a third and fourth generation family ownership by the Reichart family. Their tomatoes are sustainably grown on over 40 family farms in the Midwest that they know by name. You can really taste the difference in the wide variety of tomato products from this family owned company that has been growing tomatoes for more than 75 years.
Butter – Use sweet cream, unsalted butter to help toast the top of the bread before constructing the pizza.
Cheese – I recommend using a cheese that melts well. We usually choose a shredded mozzarella or mozzarella and Parmesan mix.
Toppings – Use your favorite toppings like pepperoni, sausage, peppers, onions, and more.
How to Make French Bread Pizza
- Sauce: Start with making the easy pizza sauce. Stir together Red Gold Tomato Sauce and Red Gold Tomato Paste until smooth. Add in spices and sugar and stir until combined.
- Toast: Cut the bread in half, lengthwise and then cut in half so you end up with four pieces. Spread butter on top of each half and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 3 minutes and remove the bread from the oven.
- Toppings: This is where I have the kids help me “decorate” their pizza or add the toppings. Start with tomato sauce, cheese and then add your favorite toppings. Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- Serve: Serve warm either whole or cut into slices. Use any leftover sauce for dipping.
- Don’t skip toasting the bread before adding the toppings. This helps with keeping the bread sturdy and not getting soggy.
- Try not to add too many toppings. This helps the cheese melt and ensures everything gets cooked.
This French bread pizza recipe is such a fun way to enjoy cooking with your kids. I have also found that it has made my kids more open to trying new things like green peppers or even olives if they get to “cook”.
Here are a few of our favorite topping combinations but feel free to get creative.
- Classic: Sauce, cheese and pepperoni
- Veggie: Sauce, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms
- Meat lover: Sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage and ham
- Tropical: Sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple
Can I cook French bread pizza in the air fryer?
Yes, this homemade French bread pizza recipe can be made in the oven or the air fryer.
If cooking in the air fryer, butter the bread and place the halves in air fryer basket. Cook at 350 degrees for 3 minutes. Remove the bread and add sauce, cheese and toppings. Place each piece back in the air fryer basket and cook at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
How to Store Leftovers
We typically don’t have any leftovers but if you do, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze by assembling them on a baking sheet and then putting in the freezer for about one hour. Place the frozen pizza in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat, bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
What to serve with French Bread Pizza
These are great on their own or served with a simple side salad, vegetable or soup.
- Steamed broccoli
- Pea salad
- Corn salad
I also love using the leftover sauce as a dipping sauce for the pizza.
Making this recipe? Please feel free to leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it and be sure to share your favorite pizza topping combinations. We love hearing from you!
French Bread Pizza
French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
French Bread Pizza
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice French bread in half lengthwise and then in half to make four pieces. Place each piece of bread on a baking sheet. Brush butter on the cut side of each piece of the bread and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with pizza sauce. Add cheese over the sauce and any additional toppings. Bake again for 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.