Creme De Menthe Bars have the perfect amount of minty flavor paired with a chocolate graham cracker crust and chocolate topping. Great for St. Patty’s Day, Christmas, or just because you want a delicious treat.
I am a creature of habit, I like a schedule, something about it gives me comfort. So never fail, almost everyday I call my mom at 9am to catch up and see what her plans are for the day. One morning before the Christmas holiday, mom was telling me about a Christmas party she went to with her teacher buddies. One of her friends,Cindy, brought these Creme de Menthe bars that mom kept going on and on about. Mom’s friend said her family makes them every year for Christmas. So naturally I begged my mom to get the recipe for me to try.
I ended up making these bars over the holidays and mom was right, they are AWESOME! I love the graham crackers mixed with cocoa powder and butter, um yum! These bars have just the right amount of mint flavor. Since St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, I thought this would be a great time to break out this recipe again and make some for our neighbors.
Want more recipes check out Food Lovin Family on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.
Creme De Menthe Bars
- 1 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup creme de menthe
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Bottom Layer: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter and cocoa powder. Over low heat, mix until will blended.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in graham crackers and mix well.
- Press graham cracker mixture into 9/13 glass or metal pan. (If you would like them thicker you can make in 8x8)
- Middle Layer: Melt 1/2 cup butter. In a mixing bowl, mix together butter and creme de menthe on low speed for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add 3 cups powdered sugar and mix until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spread over graham cracker mixture and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Top Layer: In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup butter and chocolate chips. Stir over low heat until melted.
- Spread over creme de menthe mixture.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Store in refrigerator.
Are we cooking the base layer with the egg and graham crackers? Thx