Chocolate and caramel covered apples slices
I guess it is the season, but for some reason I have been craving a caramel apple. The thing is, I didn’t want a big giant apple, just a slice. Rookno17 had a great idea to cut apple slices and cover them in chocolate and caramel. Instead of making my own caramel, the store had melting caramel bits that are so easy to use. Just add a little water and they melt perfectly. After the caramel set on the apples, I dipped the slices in some Ghirardelli chocolate and boom, chocolate and caramel covered apple slices. I love these slices because I think they are easier to eat, especially for the little ones.
I was able to get about 3 slices per apple. Cut the ends off so you don’t get a big hunk of apple skin.
First layer – Caramel
Next comes the chocolate. I also added a few chocolate sprinkles on some of the slices. Sprinkles, crushed up nuts, or even crushed up candies would be great to add on top of the apples.
You can wrap these up in cellophane if you want to give them away. It is best to store the apples slices in the refrigerator and eat within 24 hours.
Here is a picture of Major about to take a big bite outta this apple.
Chocolate and Caramel Covered Apple Slices
- 2 large apples washed
- lollipop sticks
- 1 bag Caramel bits
- 1 bag Ghirardelli dark melting chocolate wafers
- Sprinkles/nuts - optional
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.
- Slice ends of apples and then cut into cross sections.
- Insert lollipop stick and place on baking sheets.
- Melt caramel according to package.
- Dip apple slices into caramel and shake off excess. Place on baking sheets.
- Once all the slices have been dipped in caramel, place baking sheet in refrigerator.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate according to package.
- Dip each apple slice into chocolate and place back on baking sheets.
- If adding sprinkles or crushed nuts, sprinkle on apple slices while chocolate is still wet.
- Once finished dipping in chocolate, place the baking sheet back in the refrigerator for chocolate to set.
- Store in the refrigerator.