Banana Pudding with Cool Whip and Sour Cream
Apr 11, 2017, Updated Jun 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana pudding is an easy, classic dessert layered with creamy pudding, bananas, and Nilla wafers. A family recipe that is a keeper!
You will love this Sour Cream Banana Pudding!
Banana pudding is one of my favorite desserts and one our whole family loves! It is the BEST banana pudding recipe that I have ever had. Nothing fancy, just creamy deliciousness.
This pudding is a staple in our household through the warmer months. I got this recipe from my Dad believe it or not. This is his dessert that he is known for in our family.
You can put this easy recipe together quick with the instant pudding. We use 2 French vanilla puddings and 1 banana cream pudding. You could also use 3 French vanilla if you prefer.
Ingredients for Banana Pudding made with Sour Cream
- French vanilla instant pudding – This is used to make the pudding base.
- Banana instant pudding – Gives extra banana flavor.
- Nilla wafers – You can use your favorite vanilla wafer cookie or even Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies.
- Sour cream – Sour cream adds a hint of tang and flavor to the pudding.
- Frozen whipped topping – Cool whip is used to make the dessert extra fluffy and creamy.
- Milk – Used for the pudding mixture. Make sure the milk is cold.
- Bananas – Fresh, ripe bananas are layered into the banana pudding for the classic banana flavor.
How to make this Banana Pudding Recipe with Sour Cream
For these pictures I used a trifle bowl but it will easily fit in a casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the instant pudding mixes with cold milk. Stir in sour cream and half of the Cool Whip.
- To assemble, start by layering some Nilla wafers on the bottom of the bowl.
- Top those with slices of bananas and then a nice layer of pudding mixture.
- Add another layer of vanilla wafers, a layer banana slices, and pudding.
- Top with the remaining Cool Whip and and crushed wafers.
Can’t you just taste the yumminess?!
So if you are like me and just can’t wait, get out your spoon and take a big bite. I would recommend letting it chill for about one hour just to let it set up. If you are in need of a dessert to wow a crowd, let me suggest you whipping up a big bowl of this banana pudding.
How to serve Banana Pudding With Cool Whip and Sour Cream
Probably the most common way to serve this dessert is in a trifle bowl or large casserole dish. You can spoon out individual portions as needed. You can also make and serve this dessert in individual Mason jars or parfait cups.
Banana Pudding with Sour Cream and Cool Whip storage
Banana pudding can be prepared up to one day in advance. Make sure to store it covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How long does banana pudding last in the fridge?
This pudding dessert will last about 2 days covered in the refrigerator. After that, the bananas begin to get mushy.
FAQs for Banana Pudding with Sour Cream and Cool Whip
The trick to keeping the bananas from browning is to cover them with the pudding. This helps to prevent the air from getting to the sliced bananas.
Over mixing the pudding can cause the pudding to not thicken.
If you need to thicken your pudding you can add an extra ½ package of instant pudding to the mix. Don’t forget, the pudding will also thicken once it’s chilled in the refrigerator.
Sour Cream Banana Pudding
- 2 3.4 oz boxes French Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 3.4 oz box Banana Cream Instant Pudding
- 1 11 oz box Nilla Wafers
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 16 oz Frozen Whipped Topping (Cool Whip)
- 5 cups Milk
- 3 ripe Bananas
- In a large bowl, mix together puddings and milk until combined and smooth.
- Mix in sour cream and half of the frozen whipped topping (8oz).
- In a large trifle bowl, put down a layer of Nilla wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl. Add a layer of sliced bananas and then 1/3 of the pudding mixture.
- Add another layer of wafers, bananas and pudding. In my bowl I was able to make 3 layers. Top with remaining 8 oz of frozen whipped topping and crushed Nilla wafers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.