BBQ taquitos are a tasty appetizer filled with flavorful bbq pork and cheese, all wrapped up in a tortilla. Delicious game day food that will wow your crowd.
It has been so warm here that I feel like summer has officially arrived. You know what that means? Barbeques at our house! We celebrate several birthdays throughout the summer and really, just love any excuse to have friends and family over.
We live just outside of Atlanta and this year, Atlanta got a professional soccer team. So cool! We were fortunate enough to be able to attend a game recently and I couldn’t believe how involved the fans are and how exciting the game was to watch. Being there really took my love of soccer to the next level. I might have to get season tickets. 🙂
Since we look for any reason to have a BBQ, we decided to plan a watch party of the Beautiful Game soccer tournament this summer. Everyone will bring a favorite appetizer and I will provide the summertime cervezas, Modelo Especial and Modelo Negra. So, while my body may be in Georgia, my mind can easily picture this BBQ tailgating at the tournament.
Modelo is the perfect accompaniment to a backyard BBQ, especially for the tournament since it’s brewed with a fighting spirit! Modelo is also the Proud Sponsor of the Beautiful Game!
One of my favorite game watching recipes are these BBQ taquitos. They are always a crowd favorite. These scrumptious bites will make your taste buds scream GOOOOOOAALLLLLL every time. Start with BBQ pork made in the slow cooker with a splash of Modelo Negra, spices and BBQ sauce. Once it’s cooked, shred the meat and mix with cheese and cream cheese. Place a little of the mixture on a corn tortilla, roll up, and pop in the oven to get them nice and crisp. I mean, how good does that sound?!
To make these easy to assemble for game day, you can cook your pork ahead of time. Shred it and place in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to roll. I like serving these taquitos with ranch dressing topped with chopped cilantro. The creaminess of the ranch is a nice compliment to the flavorful bbq.
- 3-4 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon course salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bottle favorite bbq sauce
- 1 cup Modelo Negra
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 20 taco size corn tortillas
- 1 cup ranch, optional for dipping
- Place pork in slow cooker. Rub salt, pepper, brown sugar and garlic powder over pork. Pour bbq sauce and beer over top pork and set slow cooker to 6 hours.
- Once cooked, remove pork from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Remove excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together shredded pork, cream cheese and cheese.
- Place each tortilla, one at a time, between 2 damp paper towels. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture on each tortilla and roll up tightly.
- Place seam side down on baking sheet. Spray the top of each taquito with cooking spray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with ranch or mashed avocado.