True Story. This past weekend, Jay decided he would take the kids out so I could have all morning to cook and take pictures. Awesome, right!? The house was so quiet and so peaceful. As I started getting ready in the kitchen, I smelled something kind of funky. At first I thought, trash can. The smell seemed to be getting stronger and coming from the oven. It was definitely natural gas. I called Jay and he said to call the fire department. We live in a small town so 5 minutes after I called, 3 fire trucks and 2 ambulances showed up at my door. So much for the peaceful morning. So turns out we actually ran out of gas! No cooking for me this weekend. I think this recipe was worth the wait. Risotto has been on my mind but I wanted to make it a little more healthy. Quinoa was the answer.
Make sure to do a quick rinse of your quinoa.
Sausage and kale cheesy quinoa
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add water and quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, cook Italian sausage in a pan until brown.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Add kale to sausage and cook until kale is soft about 5 minutes.
- Once quinoa is cooked, remove from heat and add cheese. Mix.
- Add sausage and kale to quinoa and mix.