Full of flavor and 30 minutes to make, this gnocchi with squash, kale and sausage will have you licking your plate clean.
Ok, I know I have said this before and trust me, it won’t be the last time I say this, but I have found a new favorite dish, gnocchi with squash, sausage and kale. It is great for a busy weeknight only taking 30 minutes to prepare. This dish is packed with so much amazing flavor, my husband and I were literally licking our plates clean.
My family hoards cooking magazines and cookbooks. We just can’t seem to get rid of them. I have a few bookcases filled with just cooking magazines some dating back to the early 90’s. Frequently I like to look through them and get inspiration for recipes and even photography style.
Recently I found this gnocchi recipe in an old Food Network Magazine but it did not include the sausage. I ended up changing a few things and adding the hot Italian sausage to boost up the flavor factor.
- Cook cut up butternut squash in 1 tablespoon butter until squash is soft. About 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and sage.
- Add chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth or water as a substitute) and kale.
- Add gnocchi, cover pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage and cheese. ( If you know you will be in a hurry, precook the sausage earlier in the day.)
- At this point you could serve or place in a baking dish, top with more cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
This meal is a wonderful belly warming meal and great for these cooler temperatures outside. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Helpful Tools To Make This Recipe
- Large Skillet – This is the large skillet I used to make this meal. It is a great all purpose skillet. I use it almost everyday.
- Gnocchi – This is a great brand that I use frequently.
Gnocchi with Squash, Kale and Sausage
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4-5 cups chopped baby kale
- 1 17.5 oz package potato gnocchi
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven broiler.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add the butternut squash to skillet and cook for approximately 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Squash should be soft and golden.
- Add garlic, sage and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth to skillet and when it starts to simmer stir in kale.
- Cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Add gnocchi, stirring to coat. Cover with a lid and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and add in cooked Italian sausage, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place mixture into a baking dish and top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place in oven under broiler and cook until golden and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.
* Post may contain affiliate links… meaning if you click on the link and make a purchase, I’ll get a very small percentage in commission. There’s never any extra cost to you, and I only link to products I love. Your support of FLF is appreciated! *