We are home from a quick fall break and back in the swing of things. I can now officially say summer is over. Bring on the fall.
Recently, I posted the chicken schnitzel recipe. I wanted to post this perfect side dish to serve alongside the sandwich, German potato salad. This is a recipe my mom and grandmother love and would make for us growing up. It is not your traditional mayonnaise based potato salad. Oh no, this is a delicious warm, potato salad with a sweet and tangy dressing…and did I mention there is bacon? This dish is a salty-sweet flavor explosion that you and your family will love.
German Potato Salad
- 5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- minced parsley
- Fill 4 quart pot 3/4 way full with water. Bring water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon and place on a plate covered in paper towels.
- Leave 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet and add onion. Cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, flour, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Stir in red wine vinegar and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir constantly until thickened and boiling.
- Stir in potatoes and bacon and heat through. Transfer to bowl or platter and add minced parsley.