No need for breakfast reservations when you can make these little Egg Sandwiches in under 30 minutes. Baked eggs, pumpernickel bread, ham, and cheese is the perfect way to wake up in the morning.
First off, I want to apologize, I have been a little slow on the blog this week. It is spring break and we decided to get away for a few days. We ended up going to Chattanooga, TN to do a little site seeing and indoor rock climbing. It was so fun to see the kids harnessed up in the rock climbing gear and trying to reach the top of the wall. I think our 3 year old had the most fun, she did not want to leave.
Next weekend my mom is coming to town to visit and see the kids. She really loves eggs so I am going to make her these cute little baked egg sandwiches. I whisk together cheese, eggs, chives, and a little salt and pepper, pour the mixture in a muffin pan and bake until I end up with little egg cupcakes 🙂 I little tip for the chives, kitchen shears make it easy to cut the chives up small, just snip snip snip.
The pumpernickel bread adds a nice flavor to the sandwiches but feel free to use what you have on hand. I used a small biscuit cutter to cut out the bread and ham into nice circles. Dijon mustard is also a great addition to the sandwiches or even a splash of hot sauce. There are many different ways you can make this recipe your own.
This makes 12 sandwiches and I can easily eat 2 even 3. These egg sandwiches might even get me to wake up early this weekend!
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used Colby Jack Blend
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pumpernickel bread
- 12 slices of honey maple deli ham or Virginia ham
- 12 slices of tomato
- Optional: Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Mix in cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Place egg mixture in muffin cups, dividing evenly. (About 1/4 cup per muffin cup)
- Bake eggs for 15 minutes.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out 24 circles of bread and 12 slices of ham.
- Remove eggs from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Place ham and egg on bread and top with bread.
- Top each sandwich with a slice of tomato. Use toothpick or wooden skewer to secure sandwich.
- I like to spread Dijon mustard on one slice of bread for each sandwich.