Wow your breakfast crowd with this hash brown crust breakfast casserole. Filled with ham, cheese, eggs and a hash brown crust.
When we were living in Connecticut, my girlfriends and I would try to get together for breakfast once a month while the kids were at school. I would always request that my friend, Kristen, make her hash brown crusted breakfast casserole. It is a mixture of cheese, egg, and ham, deliciousness. Now that we have moved, I always remember my friends and the laughs that we shared whenever I make this casserole.
You can use frozen or freshly shredded hash browns but the key is to remove as much moisture from the potatoes as you can. Once they are thawed, press them between paper towels to get rid of any excess water. After you place them in your pie dish, I recommend using the back of a measuring cup to push down the hash browns so that they are nice and flat.
I use this pre-diced ham but you can substitute deli ham, sausage, bacon, whatever you like. You can also experiment with any vegetables that you enjoy. That is the great thing about this recipe, it is very customizable.
You are going to love this recipe. It is the perfect thing to make if you have friends over and want something a little more substantial than muffins. This is also a recipe I make over the holidays. It is just as easy to make 2 and then you can freeze one of them once it is baked.
- 3 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ tsp salt -divided
- ½ tsp pepper -divided
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Thaw hash browns and then use a paper towel to squeeze moisture out of the hash browns.
- Place hash browns in a bowl and add ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and garlic powder. Stir.
- Press the hash browns onto the bottom and sides of 9 inch pie plate. Using the back of a measuring cup to press down and flatten the hash browns.
- Drizzle melted butter over hash browns and bake for 25 minutes or until slightly browned.
- In a bowl, combine ham, green onion, and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk,1/4 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Once crust is ready, spread ham mixture on the bottom and then cover with egg mixture.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole for 25 minutes or until cooked through.